Monday, September 14, 2015

Amazing Grace Story Structure Analysis

The second film I'm analyzing is Amazing Grace.

Opening Image- This story takes place in England, 1797 and we have William Wilberforce as our main character. He is riding in a carriage, when he comes across two men whipping a horse in the rain. They pull over, and he speaks to the two men. Immediately we can tell that William is rich and is also sick. 

Theme- Change, the abolition of slavery. "Change the world."

Catalyst- William is shown the chains used on the slaves at a dinner party type thing. The people at the dinner table are basically telling him he can do the work of god and be in politics at the same time. This just means that there are higher stakes, but now that this is put into Wilberforce's mind, life will never be the same. 

Debate- He is deciding on what he should do... I mean this is the debate period. 

Break into 2- He decides to do both, and we stop with the flashbacks and go into the present. 

B Story- William's romance with Barbara Spooner. 

The Promise of the Premise- Naive attempts at changing the world... basically changing it one step at a time. 

Midpoint- One of the guys who weren't going to sign the petition end up signing the petition, I'm sorry I don't remember his name... again I didn't really enjoy the film so I wasn't super interested in the characters... 

Bad Guys Close In- Strained Relationships/Illness

All Is Lost- William gets into a fight with his friend, Pitt, the prime minister. Making their relationship strained, and I believe that leaves William feeling very alone in this fight. 

Dark Night of the Soul- William basically has a pity party with the red head (Spooner). 

Break Into 3- William goes back to London and marries Barbara. 

Finale- Abolition of slave trade, Pitt dies.

Final Image- Dumbledore talking. (Not really Dumbledore from The Harry Potter series, but it's the same actor)

Deus Ex Machina- Too late to call adjournment, he sent everyone to the races.

SET UPS- "I talk about botany when people bring up politics", singing Amazing Grace.

PAY OFFS- "I don't care for botany.", wedding (they sing Amazing Grace)

Yes, the dialogue was fine in the film. It moved the story along and it revealed character. It flowed... fine... and it didn't do a simple Question/Answer type thing.

To be honest, I didn't like it... for many different reasons. First of all, I wasn't a fan of all of the actors. Second of all, it was just too predictable... the way the actors would speak was just frustrating... overall I would give it 0 stars for not being original enough. I mean, it served it's purpose, but that doesn't mean that I think it should go down in history as a great film. However, it followed the story structure beats like it was supposed to, so it wasn't a terrible movie... it just wasn't my style. There was this part... and as soon as they were sitting at the dinner table and the red head was slouching a little while she was eating I could see it coming... for some reason in movies (and it bugs me so much when this happens) while the characters are eating, there will be one character slouching ever so slightly. Then, they will sit up and clear their throat, and say "So.... ahem... blah blah blah" and try to strike up a conversation. It makes me very angry when this happens. I just wasn't a fan of the dialogue in most scenes, but talking about dialogue is for the next analysis.


No comments:

Post a Comment