Monday, October 5, 2015

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid is my favorite film I have analyzed so far.


The film was a big hit in 1967 for many reasons. The soundtrack is amazing (it really reflects what the style of music was back in 1967), it stars Paul Newman and Robert Redford (so the casting director did a good job!), and it was overall just a beautiful film (story structure, cinematography, soundtrack, everything!)

The film's implicit meaning is about running away from your problems and how your problems will always follow you, no matter how much you run.

The film used montage successfully, for you could tell the character's emotions in the pictures and you could see Butch's and Sundance's adventures through photographs. They used great music during the montages to get us to feel what the characters would have felt. Overall, I'd say the montages I saw in Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid were the best I have ever seen.

Now, why did this film win an oscar? It won two, actually. One for the music and one for the writing. I would say that the music was great at matching the emotions and the story correctly. Other movies have copied the famous scene where it plays Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head, because that scene is just absolutely perfect.
Here's the soundtrack if you haven't heard it- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyTBQ9KfCwg
Now the writing, there was just so much beauty in it all. The rhythm and the syntax of the dialogue, the irony of "I can't swim." some badass (and I must add good looking) robber who is quick with a gun can't swim. Now that is funny, that is just simply good writing right there. I honestly didn't know what was going to happen until the last 5 minutes of the film (which is what every film should be like, nothing should be completely predictable). I sat and waited to see what was going to happen and it paid off once the finale came around.
An antihero is basically a protagonist who isn't doing the greatest things... a great example is Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid! At first, I was thinking "God, I'm not really rooting for them." especially the scene where it leads you to believe that The Kid is going to rape that one woman (I don't really remember her name...) 
But anyway, it wasn't until halfway through the film that I started to actually root for these guys... and I guess that is because of how funny, good looking, and somewhat relatable they became. I wanted them to escape so badly. 

The film speaks to me mostly because of the implicit meaning. That meaning right there made me love this film, because it is such a relatable topic. 

This film is a crime film. For the main characters are anti-heroes and it shows us what a life of crime entails. 
If this film were to be released today, I'm sure it would be a success.
I really enjoyed this film 10/10 would recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment